Hillcrest Cemetery, located on 12th Street in La Grande, Oregon, was created by Emma Cogan in 1870 as a private family cemetery. The first recorded grave was in that smae year, 1870. The cemetery is approximately 26 acres in size. On December 19, 1894 the cemetery land was part of an inheritance and was transferred to J.F. Phy. He, in turn, conveyed it to La Grande Lodge #41 A.F. & A.M. Inc. and it became known as the Masonic Cemetery. On July 1, 1955 the Masonic Cemetery was given to the La Grande Cemetery Maintenance District and it retained it’s name until October 13, 1959 when the cemetery’s board of directors voted to change the name to Hillcrest Cemetery.
There are no longer plots available for sale in Hillcrest Cemetery.